If you live in a flood-prone area, you may wonder what your homeowner’s insurance policy covers. After all, flooding can cause significant damage to your home and property. If you are not sure whether your current policy will help pay for repairs in the event of a flood, here are some steps that can help:

Contact Your Insurance Company

You will want to contact your insurance company to ask if they cover flood damage. If they do not, you may have to buy additional coverage. You can also check the National Flood Insurance Program website to see if they offer guidance on what kind of flood coverage you should purchase and how much it costs.

If your homeowner’s policy does include flood insurance, find out what kind of coverage it provides so that you know what types of losses are covered and how much money is required as a deductible (the amount of money that must be paid before receiving benefits).

Research Your Home’s Flood Risk

To find out whether you are at risk for flooding and what it would cost to replace your home if it did get damaged, contact your insurance company and ask about a “flood zone” analysis. They will run a detailed assessment of your property’s flood risk based on factors like local topography, soil makeup, and history of flooding in the area. The results will tell you whether your home is in an area with a high chance of flooding. If so, how much money would it cost to rebuild after such damage?

Find out Current Policy Details

First, contact your insurance company to get a copy of your policy. The more you know about what is in it, the better you will be at deciding how much coverage you need.

Next, ask about any changes in coverage since your last renewal date. For example, if there have been recent storms or flooding where you live, and standard policies don’t cover those, then check what’s changed and whether any additional costs would come out of pocket (and thus be subject to taxes).
Finally, and most importantly, find out if you have coverage for flood damage, wind damage, or hail damage (or all three!). It may seem obvious that homeowners should have insurance against natural disasters such as hurricanes and floods. However, policies differ from one homeowner’s association (HOA) to another, even though one community may require all its residents to purchase flood insurance. In contrast, another does not require anything beyond basic homeowners’ insurance rates across their entire area. The risk remains real enough that homeowners should always take precautions when necessary.

Look for Exclusions

If you have homeowner’s insurance, the most important thing is to read your policy. If you cannot understand it or get help from an agent, ask a friend or family member who knows about insurance to read over it with you. There may be things in there that are confusing or seem unfair, such as exclusions and limitations.

• Exclusions are things that your policy does not cover. For example, if a sinkhole opened up on your property and flooded your basement but was not caused by a natural disaster (such as an earthquake), this would fall under the “sinkhole” exclusion category of most homeowners’ policies.

• Limitations are situations where a loss might be covered by more than one type of coverage—for example, water damage from leaking pipes could be covered by both home structure/fire damage coverage and personal property/flooding coverage!

Use A Flood Map to Determine Your Property’s Flood Risk

If you are looking for a homeowner’s insurance policy, it is important to know that different companies have different policies regarding flood coverage. Some companies may not cover it, while others may offer an optional add-on. If the company you choose does not offer flood coverage as part of its standard policy, you can buy it separately as an add-on.

Before purchasing flood insurance separately or having your current provider include it in your policy, be sure that your home is in a designated Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). These areas are defined by FEMA and are shown on official maps provided by the NFIP known as Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs). You can use these FIRMs to determine whether your property is in one of these hazard zones.

Check the National Flood Insurance Program’s flood map website

Flood maps are based on detailed data collected by FEMA and other federal agencies about the characteristics of streams, rivers, and lakes, land use, ground elevation, and climate change effects on floods. The maps show the risk of flooding in your area using a color code (light to dark green). Even if you do not live in an identified flood zone, there may be situations where you must pay extra money out of pocket because of flash flooding or storm surge events that are not covered under standard homeowner’s insurance policies.

Suppose you live near a body of water or have a history of floods in your area that has occurred within the last six months. In that case, purchasing flood insurance through your homeowner’s insurance policy is important before disaster strikes again!

Get Detailed Information About Your Policy

This will help you make an informed decision about purchasing additional coverage against water damage. Once you have identified your insurance type, it is important to review your policy and understand its coverage limits.

You can find this information on your homeowner’s insurance policy in several places. You may be able to access your policy online or by requesting a copy from your insurance company. If you are unsure which type of coverage you have, ask for help from an agent or rep; they will be happy to assist with this process!


The good news is that your homeowner’s insurance can cover a flood. The bad news is that you may need to pay a few extra dollars in monthly premiums to be able to do so. Flood insurance coverage is not included in most homeowners’ policies. You must add on it if you want protection against water damage caused by floods.